Home About Oromia

PDF Print E-mail

Establishment and Political Setup
OROMIA MAPThe Oromo People is one of nations that constitute Ethiopia. It used to have its own traditional and democratic system of self-government known as Gada system. However, due to the invasion and cultural domination of the neftegnas, the Gada system was eroded and replaced by the iron rule of the neftegnas, which forced the culture, language and history of the Oromo people to be forgotten and virtually reach a stage of extinction.

Physical Features
Oromia is one of the nine regional states that consitute the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. It extends from 30 40'N to 10035'N and from 34005'E to 43011'E. Thus it is located in tropical zone, though subject to modification by variation in altitude. On the basis of the current border delineation, the land area of the region is estimated at 359,619.8 square kilometers.  

Oromia is the most populous regional state in the country. Based on the 1996/97 Population and Housing Census, the projected population of the region is estimated at 28,098,000 in 2004, accounting for over 35 percent of the population of the country. Out of the population of the region about 12.8 percent is estimated to do well in urban areas, whereas the remaining 87.2% resides in rural. Generally the level of urbanization is very low and found at infant stage.

Agriculture is the foundation of the economy of Oromia. It provides employment for an estimated 89 percent of the population and acounts for about 65 percent of the region's gross domestic product. Exports of agricultural products originating in Oromia, such as coffee, hides and skins, pulses and oil seeds make up the lion's share of the country's exchange earnings. However, insreases in agricultural output and productivity are constrained by several factors including traditional farming methods, natural resources degradation and limited use of modern technologies. Furthermore,  rapid growth of population has resulted  in fragmentation and reduction of farm sizes, negatively impacting on the production and productivity of food crops.

Note:You can get more information about Oromia at The Regional President Office Website.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 03 February 2009 16:43